Best Mexican Food
5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Scroll Down for Map
Best Chicken Fried Steak & Breakfast
Best Lunch Special, Best Chicken Fried Steak, Best Dessert, Best Waitperson, Cathy Prinz
Best Italian Food
The special listed is no longer active... please call for
THIS WEEK'S SPECIAL!
Best Coffee & French Fries
Drive Thru Open Everyday
Serving Brisket & Beef Sausage
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Full BBQ Menu 10:00 AM - Close
Restaurant & Drive Thru Hours
Sunday - Thursday 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 10 AM - 9:00 PM
Saturday Retail Market Open 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Voted Best BBQ in Elgin 13 years in a row,by Elginites!
Best Overall Restaurant
Best Pork Ribs
Best Hot Sausage
The Meyer family’s story begins in the late 1800s when Henry Meyer immigrated from Germany to the United States, bringing the recipe for his delicious sausage with him and settling in Brenham, Texas.
Then around 1915, Henry taught his son, Rudolf Karl George (R.G.) Meyer, the secret for his mouth-watering sausage.
In early 1940, R.G, his wife Herminia, and their children F.W. (Buddy) and Karlin (Baby), moved to Elgin from Brenham. During their time in Brenham, R.G and Herminia operated a cafe located adjacent to the now historic Simon Theatre.
Upon arriving in Elgin, the Meyer family leased a small cafe on the corner of Main and Central (now the current location of McShan’s Barber Shop, and Superior Burger). Herminia was well-known throughout the area for her delicious coconut pies, and her flair for cooking.
On September 8, 1943, R.G and Herminia purchased the Rock Front Store located on the corner of 101 Harris Street (Main and Loop 109); this building was uniquely constructed of large flat ironstones.
At this site, R.G built their home, and a garage apartment which still stands today. R.G began making sausage in a little smokehouse with a dirt floor located in their backyard, and with a growing customer base for his delicious smoked sausage, he then built a second smokehouse on the rooftop of the store. Over the next 10 years, the small Rock Front Store was expanded on six different occasions, a modern smokehouse was added, and in 1949 Meyer’s Sausage Company was born.
With some prodding from his friends, R.G was persuaded to begin marketing his tasty sausage. There were three flavors of the hickory smoked sausage: Original, Garlic, and Sage. Although meat inspection was not mandatory by the state of Texas until 1968, the city of Austin passed an ordinance requiring all meat vendors to be inspected. Meyer’s Sausage Company received temporary inspection in the Rock Front Store until the new manufacturing plant could be built to state specifications. This began the wholesale end of the business, which is now the largest portion of the operation.
Buddy worked in the business with his dad from 1955 until R.G.’s passing in 1959. Buddy’s wife, Betty Lynn, joined the business in 1959 to work alongside Buddy. Buddy carried on the “old world sausage” tradition with its unique coarse ground product .
In 1964, the new processing plant was built to state specifications, and is the current operating manufacturing plant today. Buddy continued to build the family business, and Meyer’s Sausage became legendary throughout the state of Texas. Buddy stuck firmly to his family’s commitment to quality, and through modernization and two additional expansions, the company continued its growth.
After Buddy’s passing in 1989, Gregg and Gary Meyer became the fourth generation of sausage makers to carry on the family tradition. In 2002, Meyer’s Sausage Company became a federally inspected plant, and now had the capability to ship to customers wholesale and retail throughout the United States. Gregg and Gary continued building the family business through seven additional expansions, continued modernization, and new product development.
The family recognized an influx of customers exiting off HWY 290, craving an area to dine-in at the manufacturing plant. With the demand growing, opening a barbecue restaurant was a natural extension for the family.
Gregg, Denise, Gary, and Becky Meyer purchased Bigger’s BBQ restaurant, and opened Meyer’s Elgin Smokehouse on February 13, 1998. At Meyer’s Elgin Smokehouse, the family has continued the tradition from R.G and Herminia of feeding hungry customers. At the restaurant, you can savor Buddy Meyer’s beans, Herminia’s flavorful barbecue sauce, along with savory slow-smoked meats featuring Meyer’s mouth-watering spices.
On November 28, 2016, a piece of Elgin history became history; the birthplace of Meyer’s Sausage Company The Rock Front Store underwent demolition to make way for future expansions.
The Meyer family has been hard at work developing new products, and has recently wrapped up a substantial renovation at Meyer’s Elgin Smokehouse that includes: an extended dining room, a private party room, a new salad bar, and enlarged restrooms!
Meyer’s Sausage Company is the oldest single family-owned sausage business in Elgin. Meyer’s Sausage Company, and Meyer’s Elgin Smokehouse employ over 60 hardworking team members that share in the family pride. From the little dirt-floor smokehouse, to a modern plant, and an added barbecue restaurant, we agree that R.G.(Pa-Paw) and Herminia (Ma-maw) would be proud of where it has all lead to.
more info below
BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN ELGIN
3 YEARS STRAIGHT!
Monday - Sunday 6am - 10pm
Breakfast - 6am to 11am
Scroll Down & Click Link For Full Menu
BBQ Chicken Pizza is YUMMY!